GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
BRANCH NAME: Electronics & Communication Engineering (11), Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering (12)
SUBJECT NAME: Satellite Communication
SUBJECT CODE: 2171007
Type of course: Undergraduate
Prerequisite: Electronics Communication, Digital Communication
Rationale: The course aims to:
1 To understand the basics of satellite communications
2 To understand different satellite communication orbits
3 To understand the satellite segment and earth segment
4 Provide an in-depth treatment of satellite communication systems operation and planning
5 To analyze the various methods of satellite access
6 Link budgets & planning
7 Review the state of the art in new research areas such as speech and video coding, satellite
networking and satellite personal communications
8 To learn Digital audio/video broadcasting using satellites
9 To understand various applications of satellite communications
1. Satellite Communications, by Dennis Roddy(Fourth edition),McGraw Hill.
2. Satellite Communication Systems Engineering, by Wilbur L. Pritchard, Henri G. Suyderhoud, Robert A. Nelson ( Second Edition ), Pearson
3. Satellite Communication, by Timothy Pratt, Charles Bostian, Jeremy Allnutt(Second Edition),
John Wiley & Sons.
4. Satellite Technology, Principles and Applications, by Anil K. Maini, Varsha Agarwal (Second Edition ), Wiley.
After successful completion of the course, the students will be able to:
1. Understand principle, working and operation of various sub systems of satellite as well as the earth station.
2. Apply various communication techniques for satellite applications
3. Analyze and design satellite communication link
4. Learn advanced techniques and regulatory aspects of satellite communication
5. Understand role of satellite in various applications 10 Direct Broadcast Satellite Television and Radio: C-Band and Ku-Band Home Satellite TV, Digital DBS TV, DBS-TV System Design, DBS-TV Link Budget, Error Control in Digital DBS-TV, Master Control Station and Uplink, Installation of DBS-TV Antennas, Satellite Radio Broadcasting, Digital Video Broadcast(DVB) Standards, Digital Video Broadcast – Terrestrial (DVB-T) 4 10 11 Satellite Mobile and Specialized Services: Introduction, Satellite Mobile Services, VSATs, Radarsat, Global Positioning Satellite System (GPS), Orbcomm, Iridium 3 5 Total 39
List of Experiments:
1. Understanding the basic concepts of satellite communication
2. To setup a communication link betweenuplink transmitter and downlink receiverusing Satellite.
3. To setup an Active satellite communicationlink and demonstrate link fail operation
4. To communicate voice & Video signal throughsatellite link
5. Observe the effect of Different combinations of uplink and downlink frequencies on satellitelink.
6. To transmit and receive three separate signals (Audio, Video , Tone) simultaneously through satellite link
7. To transmit and receive function generatorsignals through satellite link.
8. To measure the signal parameters in ananalog FM/FDM TV satellite link.
9. To transmit digital waveforms through a satellite communication link.
10. To Calculate Bit Error Rate in a satellite communication link.
Design based Problems (DP)/Open Ended Problems:
1. To write a program to observe thevariations in the antenna lookangles for the earth stationantennas.
2. To write a program to calculate todetermine the limits of visibility foran earth station.
3. To obtain the plot of Orbital altitudeversus satellite antenna diameter.
4. To write a Program for Estimatedtopospheric attenuation due toOxygen and water.
5. To write a Program for plot ofSemimajor axis versus rate ofchange of argument of perigee.
6. To write program to calculate therain attenuation(in dB) forhorizontal polarization, verticalpolarization and circularpolarization for satellite wavepropagation.
7. To write a program to determinethe combined carrier to noisepower spectral density ratio forsatellite link budget.
8. To determine the degradation inthe downlink C/I ratio whensatellite orbital spacing is reduced.
9. To write a program to plot thedegradation in downlink C/I.
10. To plot the variation in Carrier toNoise power spectral densityratio(uplink,downlink andcombined)for changes in the inputSFD for uplink and EIRP fordownlink.
11. To write a program for plotting Halfpower beamwidth Vs. maximumnumber of days sun transit occursat an earth station.
12. To write a program for plotting BER vsEb/No for BPSK signal forSatCom.
ACTIVE LEARNING ASSIGNMENTS: Preparation of power-point slides, which include videos, animations, pictures, graphics for better understanding theory and practical work – The faculty will allocate chapters/ parts of chapters to groups of students so that the entire syllabus to be covered. The power-point slides should be put up on the web-site of the College/ Institute, along with the names of the students of the group, the name of the faculty, Department and College on the first slide. The best three works should submit to GTU.